Home where man was murdered destroyed by fire

By Clint Parker

Barnardsville – An early morning fire Friday (June 7) destroyed the house at 665 Dillingham Road in Barnardsville. The same house where Bobby Ray Pegg, II was murdered on March 23, 2017.

Barnardsville Fire Department Battalion Chief Phillip Kuykendall was incident commander at the fire. He said the fire department responded to the call at about 4:30 am. “It was a fully involved structure fire. All occupants were out when we got there,” Kuykendall said. “[It was a] total loss…it was on the ground.”

Kuykendall estimates that about 24 firefighters worked the fire from his department as well as Jupiter, Mars Hill, Woodfin, French Broad, Weaverville and Reems Creek Fire Departments. The last unit cleared the scene about 8:50 am. As rain continued to cover the ruins of the home around 9:30 am, smoke could still be seen coming off the destroyed structure.

There was only one person, a man, living in the home at the time of the fire and escaped unharmed. The house, according to Buncombe County GIS, is owned by Adrian Gallion and was a one-story home with approximately 1,050 square feet of living space.

Buncombe County Sheriff’s detectives eventually arrested Timothy Robert Gallion of Christy Lane in Barnardsville who was charged with first-degree murder of Pegg. Back in 2017, within just hours of Pegg’s murder, a small convenience store at 456 Dillingham Road, less than a mile from 665 Dillingham, also burnt. Fire investigators called it arson and Timothy Gallion was also charged with the arson when he was arrested for Pegg’s murder.

According to Aaron Sarver with the sheriff’s office Gallion is still in jail awaiting trial of the 2017 murder along with the second-degree arson. An August 14 court has been set for the trial according to Buncombe County Sheriff’s Department records.

Editor’s Note: A story by Benjamin Cohn aided in this report.


Show More

Clint Parker

Publisher & Editor Weaverville Tribune

Related Articles

Back to top button